adjustable gastric banding
Laparoscopic gastric banding with the Lap Band® is FDA-approved for weight loss surgery in people with a BMI of 30 to 35 who have at least one obesity-related condition.
How It Works
- Inflating the balloon inside the band with the saline solution further restricts the opening through which food passes. This reduces the amount you can eat and slows the passage of food. You feel full longer after eating.
- Deflating the balloon inside the band by removing some of the saline solution increases the opening through which food passes. This can be helpful if you develop certain problems, like regurgitation of food.
Our surgeons choose to use two different brands of bands. Each video below will show you more.
Of course, weight loss and improved health don’t happen with the lap band surgery alone. The patient must do his or her part to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which includes watching food portions, exercising, eliminating smoking and anything else that has been discussed with the surgical team.
At the MyNewSelf bariatrics clinic in St. Louis, MO, our experienced, multi-disciplinary weight loss team will answer all your questions about adjustable gastric banding and other bariatric procedures performed at our facility. We also encourage you to browse through our FAQs for more information.
When you’re ready to take the first step, call the MyNewSelf program at Des Peres Hospital at 314-966-9640.
- You eat less
- Prolonged sense of fullness after small meals
- Less invasive procedure
- Shorter operating time
- Can be an outpatient procedure
- Helps improve obesity-related conditions
- Less risk of nutritional deficiencies and malnutrition
- Slower weight loss over a longer period of time
- Requires implant
- Requires frequent follow-ups and adjustments
- Requires strict diet change
- Stomach pouch can stretch from overeating