Take a look at this great review of roles of Macronutrients in the body. Brought to you by Erika Snodgras RD, LD, a registered dietitian here at MyNewSelf Bariatrics. This is a great review to follow if you are looking to lose weight or to keep the weight off after weight loss surgery.
Roles of Macronutrients in the Body
- Builds muscle tissue! When you lose weight, you will typically lose some LBM along with fat… making sure to get enough protein in your diet will help preserve your LBM as much as possible.
- Protein also provides the building blocks for so many other important components of our body. These include blood cells, enzymes, many hormones, neurotransmitters, etc. Without adequate protein intake, your body may need to break down your own muscle in order to get the building blocks it requires for all of these other functions.
- Eating protein helps to slow the rise in blood sugar from carbohydrates when eaten together. It takes longer to digest. This means that blood sugar levels will rise at a slower rate and also fall at a slower rate. This will maintain insulin levels and reduce cravings for more carbs.
- Protein suppresses the hunger hormone Ghrelin longer than carbs or fats. This will improve satiety longer, which will help us eat fewer calories.
- Fat is Another source of energy that supplies your body with essential fatty acids and aids in absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. All fats should be consumed in moderation due to their high calorie content; choose low fat when available.
- Cause of heart disease is not solely animal fats and cholesterol; it’s many factors:
Including: too much intake of inflammatory foods:
- Vegetables oils, hydrogenated fats, and simple carbohydrates in the form of sugar and white flour
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Reduce your heart disease risk by:
- Avoiding vitamin and mineral deficiencies that make the artery walls more prone to ruptures and the buildup of plaque
- Eliminating processed foods containing simple carbohydrates, damaged cholesterol and harmful free-radical containing vegetable oils that cause the body to need constant repair.
- Carbs are the main source of fuel for body.
- Carbohydrates are meant for quick sources of energy though so since most people aren’t very active,carbohydrates are encouraged to be limited.
- Carbohydrates also cause a quick spike in blood sugar levels, causing them to fall quickly as well, which then leads to hunger.
- It’s important to avoid highly refined sources like white bread, rice, and concentrated sweets because they don’t provide nutritional value
Contact us here at MyNewSelf Bariatrics if you would like to learn more about any of our weight loss surgeries or how to keep the weight off especially using the roles of macronutrients in the body . Join one of our seminars to learn more information about any of our procedures.